Year 2 2022 - 2023
A message from Mrs McConnell
Dear Parents, Carers and Children,
Welcome to Year Two, I am Mrs McConnell and I will be your Teacher this year. We will have a very busy, fun and exciting year and you will all learn a lot and become more independent.
As in Year One you will participate in guided reading sessions in school twice a week with an adult and you will have the opportunity to take two books home to read each week. Reading is regarded as the route to success so can I also remind you that you can also read other books together as a family at home and there are some great books online and in Blacon Library. It is important that you bring your reading folder into school every day. As far as possible your guided reading days will remain constant but unfortunately in school sometimes routines need to be adapted and if we do need to adapt the routine it is important that you have your reading folder in school.
Within the Year Two Curriculum there is a significant shift from phonetically plausible attempts at spelling being acceptable to more emphasis on spelling accurately and for that reason I will send words home for you to learn with your family (as part of your homework). Once you have learnt them you could cut them up to make flash cards and display them in your house to remember them or keep them in a book. Spelling and Maths homework will be given out on a Friday.
In Mathematics you will be learning more number facts and working hard to use your knowledge to solve reasoning problems.
I will be able to provide a lot more information about the expectations of behaviour and learning in English and Mathematics at our ‘Meet the Teacher’ meeting in September.
However, in the meantime or throughout the year if you have any questions or comments please do not hesitate to come and speak to me.
Just a reminder:
- Start time: 8.50. Finish 3.15
- Reading folders to be brought to school EVERY DAY
- Homework issued FRIDAY
- Spelling quiz FRIDAY
- P.E Day- WEDNESDAY Please bring your full P.E kit into school in a labelled bag. Please ensure you have shoes you can manage yourself and all earrings that can be taken out are left at home or a plaster is used to cover the earrings safely. Other P.E sessions are timetabled in the week so it is helpful to have kits in school and taken home to wash at the weekends.
- Topics- see website for detail with new information every half term.
- Water Bottles- Please can your child be provided with a water bottle that can be used to drink from during the school day. Bottles can be purchased from the school office or any sports top bottle can be used. The bottles should be taken home washed, refilled and brought back to school daily.
- Snack- Please bring in a healthy snack for midmorning play.
- School dinners are still FREE so please take up this valuable opportunity. Dinner menus can be found on the school website.
- Pupil Premium –Please ring this number and see if you are eligible 0300 123 7239
- SATs tests will take place in May (please no holidays or absences). SATs papers will be available to view at Meet the Teacher meetings and Parent’s Meeting.
- Burwardsley Residential – 26th and 27th April 2022 In Year Two we take the children for on overnight residential trip to the village of Burwardsley. A beautiful rural Cheshire village where the children will engage in field trip work where we explore mapping and consider the landscape.
- Please see the school website (Class 2 page) for the expected standard for writing, words children should be able to read at the end of Y1 and Y2 and a list of recommended books for Y2 children.
I look forward to a very happy year and I’m looking forward to helping you educate your child.
Files to Download
Year 2: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 2: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 2: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 2: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display